Ayurvedic medicine is one of the world’s oldest medical systems. “Caring for your feet in Maharishi Ayurveda goes beyond the cosmetic purposes: it benefits the whole body and nervous system,” says Vaidya Nitin Agrawal of Maharishi Ayurveda Products International.
Benefits of Foot Massage:
- Reduces the effects of depression and anxiety
- Releases stress and tension
- Brings sound sleep
- Helps with headaches and migraines
- Improves blood circulation
- Improves digestion
- Lowers blood pressure
- Rejuvenates the whole body
- Restores youth and vitality
- First wash your feet thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Wipe your feet dry and sit in a comfortable position so you can easily reach your feet.
- Apply oil to one of your feet for lubrication.
- Start by gently rubbing the base of your little (fifth) toe.
- Continue at the base of the next (fourth) toe.
- Next, apply slight pressure between the fifth and fourth toes.
- Then, rub between the third and fourth toes.
- Next, massage, stretch and pull the big toe gently and rub each side of the nail.
- Then massage the ball of your foot in a circular motion. Apply gentle pressure on both sides of your heel below the ankle joint, followed by circling around your ankle joint with both hands in a clockwise motion. This improves circulation and the energy level of the body.
- Finally massage your calf muscle to release tension. Repeat the same steps on your other foot.
Recommend to use homemade ghee (clarified butter), cow’s ghee, sesame oil, mustard oil, olive oil, coconut oil or any other relaxation oil can be used for the foot massage.
Foot massage can be done anytime of the day. Works best when done just before sleeping at night.