Colour therapy and healing (also known as chromotherapy or light therapy) is a type of holistic healing that uses the visible spectrum of light and colour to affect a person’s mood and physical or mental health. Each colour falls into a specific frequency and vibration, which many believe contribute to specific properties that can be used to affect the energy and frequencies within our bodies.
There are seven main energy centres (chakras) of the body which resonate with the seven rainbow colours. They control our emotions, mental attitudes that can cause or reflect and imbalance within that particular center. The first step in color healing through chakras is to determine which chakra is out of balance. This can be determine by a self evaluation of our condition and comparing it with a chart of the chakras such as given elsewhere. Once we determine the chakra(s) most likely to have been adversely affected, we can then take measures to correct them.
Colors can be used to balance and strengthen the chakras on a daily basis. One way of doing this is through color breathing. Another method is through making colored slides and sitting in front of a slide projector while the color is projected upon us.
One of the easiest ways of accomplishing this is with simple colored swatches of fabrics. Felt or other cloth squares can be found in all the colors of the rainbow. They can be used to balance the seven chakras. This is an inexpensive tool for quick daily chakra therapy and color healing.
Once we have acquired the necessary tools, here is a very simple method of balancing our chakras:
Correcting Chakras Which are Out of Balance
1. Select a quiet place where you will not be disturbed for about fifteen to twenty minutes.
2. Lie down on your back on the floor or on your bed. Have seven cloth swatches corresponding to the rainbow colors with you (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet), one for each of the seven major chakras.
3. Close your eyes and relax. Take several slow, deep breaths.
4. As you begin to relax, look back over the day’s events, in reverse order. Start with the moment you laid down and review the day backward until the moment you woke up.
5. Identify the major emotions and attitudes that you experienced or were exposed to in other people. What chakras were most likely to have been affected by them? Use the table if necessary.
6. When you have completed this evaluation, take the color swatches for the chakra(s) you have identified, and lay them on the part of the body associated with the chakra.
7. As you lie there, with the color swatch upon your chakra point, visualize the color being absorbed and drawn through the chakra and into the body. Let your awareness focus on the fact that, as you lie there, the chakra is being balanced, along with all organs and systems of the body associated with it.
8. Take several deep breaths, focusing on drawing the color through the swatch into the chakra and restoring balance. Continue this for three to five minutes, or until you feel it is balanced.
Repeat these steps with any and all other chakra you have determined may be out of balance.
Full Chakra Color Therapy
Now that we have balanced all chakras, that were unbalanced, we need to strengthen all the chakras with color therapy. This is how we do this:
1. Place all seven color swatches upon the chakra points of the body.
2. Breathe deeply and simply allow your body to absorb the rainbow energies.
3. As you lie there and breathe in the colors, let your awareness focus on the fact that each chakra is being strengthened, balanced, and harmonized with the others. Know, feel and experience that your entire energy system is strengthening. Feel yourself coming into complete balance. Know that all of the physiological aspects of your body are being balanced and healed as you absorb these colors through your chakra centers.
4. Leave the swatches on for five to ten minutes or until you feel yourself fully balanced, charged, and aligned.
Source: Holistic Online