What is Chakra?
Chakra is a Sanskrit word meaning wheel, or vortex, and it refers to each of the seven energy centers of which our consciousness, our energy system, is composed.
These chakras, or energy centers, function as pumps or valves, regulating the flow of energy through our energy system. The functioning of the chakras reflects decisions we make concerning how we choose to respond to conditions in our life. We open and close these valves when we decide what to think, and what to feel, and through which perceptual filter we choose to experience the world around us.
The chakras are not physical. They are aspects of consciousness in the same way that the auras are aspects of consciousness. The chakras are more dense than the auras, but not as dense as the physical body. They interact with the physical body through two major vehicles, the endocrine system and the nervous system. Each of the seven chakras is associated with one of the seven endocrine glands, and also with a group of nerves called a plexus. Thus, each chakra can be associated with particular parts of the body and particular functions within the body controlled by that plexus or that endocrine gland associated with that chakra.
Understanding the chakras allows you to understand the relationship between your consciousness and your body, and to thus see your body as a map of your consciousness. It gives you a better understanding of yourself and those around you.
Also known as: Cosmic Consciousness Center, “I AM” Center, Crown Chakra
Location: Top of the head
The Violet chakra is your spiritual connection. This chakra links you to the cosmos so you can reach your higher potential. It is the energy of knowingness and enlightenment.
Parts of the body: This Chakra is associated with the top of the head, the brain, and the entire nervous system
Endocrine Gland: Pineal Gland
Sense: Sense of empathy, unity, experiencing another person’s experience as if you were inside them, being them.
Consciousness: The Crown Chakra represents that part of our consciousness concerned with perceptions of unity or separation. Just as the Root Chakra showed our connection with Mother Earth, this chakra shows our relationship with Our Father in Heaven. It represents our connection with our biological father, which becomes the model for our relationship with authority, and ultimately, with God. It’s the level of the soul.
When one experiences a sense of separation from their father, they close the crown chakra, and experience a sense of isolation and aloneness, as if they are in a shell, and having difficulty with feeling contact with those around them. Thought processes tend to justify and maintain the sense of aloneness.
The view from this chakra includes seeing one’s Self as the single consciousness creating all, and paradoxically, thus connected to all, like a dreamer dreaming a dream and realizing that all that is perceived is just an extension of their own consciousness.
Element: Inner Light, which is what one experiences when they are in the deepest part of their being, as a point of consciousness glowing with intelligence. Also called White Light. Metaphysically, this is considered the most subtle element of which the entire physical universe is created.
Practical activity to activate and reactivate Sahasrara chakra on daily basis:
- Focusing on dreams and writing down one’s visions and inventions. Quiet contemplation, meditation and yoga. Listening to guided meditation tapes. Taking spiritual courses.
- Eat violet foods and consume violet beverages.
- Use aromatherapy oils such as Lavender, Jasmine, Magnolia.
- Silence is the violet inspiration’s music. Crystal Bowls.
- Wear or carry a violet gemstone. Violet stones would be Quartz Crystal, Diamond.
- Bathe in the violet color in your clothing, Color Bath, decor, art, etc.
Also known as: Consciousness Awareness Center, Third Eye, Brow Chakra
Location: Center of the forehead
Color: Indigo, Midnight Blue
In using Indigo – it has a psychological balancing influence on fear, frustration, and distortions of inner energy.
Indigo Energy may help when:
- we need to find inner balance
- calm nerves and lymphatic systems
- have hearing problems
- have sleeping problems
Parts of the body: This chakra is associated with the forehead and temples, with the cartoid plexus
Endocrine Gland: Pituitary Gland
Sense: Extra Sensory Perception, all of the inner senses corresponding to the outer senses, which together are considered spirit-to-spirit communication. These include, for example, clairvoyance (inner sense of vision), clairaudience (inner sense of hearing), clairsentience (inner senses of touch), etc.
Consciousness: This Chakra is associated with the deep inner level of Being we call the Spirit, and with what we consider spirituality and the spiritual perspective, the point of view from the deeper part of our being that western traditions consider the subconscious or unconscious. It is the place where our true motivations are found, and is the level of consciousness that directs our actions and, in fact, our lives.
It is also from this point of view that one sees events in the physical world as the manifestation of co-creation among the Beings involved in those events.
Element: Inner Sound, the sound one hears inside that does not depend upon events outside. Often considered a pathological condition by traditional medicine, it is also seen by eastern traditions as a necessary prerequisite to further spiritual growth.
Practical activity to activate and reactivate Ajna chakra on daily basis:
- Star gazing. Eye rolls. Meditation Developing one’s intuition and psychic abilities.
- Eat indigo foods and consume indigo drinks.
- Use aromatherapy oils such as Patchouli, Frankincense, Myrrh.
- Music such as Mozart or Bach. Chanting (OM).
- Wear or carry an indigo gemstone or silver jewelry. Indigo stones are Amethyst, Tourmaline, Tanzanite.
- Bathe in the indigo color in your clothing, Color Bath, decor, art, etc.
Also known as: Cornucopia Center, Throat Chakra
Location: Base of the throat
Color: Sky blue
In using Blue – blue connects us to a spiritual and higher ground. The nature of blue energy is to connect our beings with the cosmic universe.
Blue Energy may help when:
- we need to calm our mind and nerves
- have throat problems
- cannot sleep
- have menstrual problems
- eye, ear, nose, throat problems
- had a shock
- have a fever
Parts of the body: This chakra controls the throat and the neck, and the arms and the hands. It is associated with the brachial or cervical plexus.
Sense: Sense of Hearing
Endrocrine Gland: Thyroid Gland
Consciousness: The aspects of expressing and receiving. Expressing can be in the form of communicating what one wants and what one feels, or it can be an artistic expression as an artist painting, a dancer dancing, a musician playing music, using a form for expressing and bringing to the outside what was within. Expressing is related to receiving, as in, “Ask, and ye shall receive.”
This chakra is associated with listening to one’s intuition, which guides one in an optimal flow, in which one sees one’s goals manifest, and is seems that the Universe provides all their needs with no effort on their part at all. It’s a state of Grace. Abundance, therefore, is associated with this chakra, as is the aspect of unconditional receiving necessary to accept the abundance of the Universe.
This is the first level of consciousness in which one perceives directly another level of intelligence, and experiences one’s interaction with this other intelligence. Metaphysically, this chakra is related to creativity, creating, manifesting in the physical world the fulfillment of one’s goals.
Element: Ether, as the crossover between the physical world and the world of Spirit. On the physical level, it corresponds to deep space as the most subtle physical element. From the point of view of the Spiritual, it represents the matrix on which physical reality manifests. Metaphorically, it represents a person’s relationship with their space, the movie that is playing around them.
Practical activity to activate and reactivate Visuddha chakra on daily basis:
- Singing (in the shower) and toning. Poetry, stamp or art collecting. Meaningful conversations. Taking self-development courses. Attending church or spiritual functions. Journaling. Neck and shoulder rolls.
- Eat blue foods and consume blue beverages.
- Use aromatherapy oils such as Geranium, Chamomile, Peppermint, Mint, Cypress.
- Music that is repetitive, such as echoes or sounds of ocean waves.
- Wear or carry a blue gemstone. Blue stones would be Sodalite, Lapis Lazuli, Sapphire, Blue Agate.
- Bathe in the blue color in your clothing, Color Bath, decor, art, etc.
Also know as: Living Love Center, Heart Chakra
Location: Center of the chest
Color: Emerald Green
In using Green – we must accept and allow love in our hearts and learn to give it without expecting anything in return. When our heart centre is balanced, we are able to give positive feelings and happiness, unconditionally.
Green Energy may help when:
- we need to soothe your nerves
- we have tension headaches
- need peace and harmony
- have chronic problems
- digestive problems
- need to calm down
Parts of the body: This Chakra is associated with the heart and the blood circulatory system, and the cardiac plexus, as well as the lungs and the entire chest area.
Endocrine Gland: Thymus Gland, controlling the immune system.
Sense: Sense of touch, in its aspect of relating to the person inside the body, and distinct from the sensation of the Orange Chakra, which is more about the sensation one feels from their own, body. Hugging, therefore, is a Heart Chakra activity. When one hugs, one is aware of what the person inside the other body feels, and they are aware of what you feel inside your body, and there is a sense of relating to the person inside the body. Sensitivity about being touched indicates heart chakra sensitivity.
Consciousness: Perceptions of love, relationships (relating with people close to your heart, e.g. partner, siblings, parents, children. Difficulty with breathing, or with the lungs, the organs of air, indicates tension in the Heart Chakra. A person’s relationship with air reflects their relationship with love.
AIDS is a problem with the person’s perceptions of love, since it is the immune system which is affected. The Person feels that their lifestyle separates them from those they love, often because of societal judgment.
Practical activity to activate and reactivate Anahata chakra on daily basis:
- Nature hikes. Spending time with family or friends. Surrounding yourself with plants. Gardening. Taking self-love courses. Reading romantic novels or watching romantic movies. Candlelight dinners.
- Eat green foods and consume green drinks.
- Use aromatherapy oils such as Eucalyptus, Pine, Tea Tree, Spearmint, Cedarwood.
- Music that has the sounds of nature.
- Wear or carry a green gemstone. Green stones would be Aventurine, Emerald, Jade, Malachite, Peridot.
- Bathe in the green color in your clothing, Color Bath, decor, art, etc.
Also known as: Power Center, Solar Chakra
Location: Solar plexus
In using Yellow – it allows clarity of thought. It gives good ideas and awareness. It has a powerful effect on the nervous system and assists the left-brain in operation. Yellow energy is good for children in that it enhances their ability to perceive and understand.
Yellow may help when:
- we feel nervous or tired.
- we are sad.
- we have parasites
- skin problems
- weight problems
- suffer from ulcers
- poor digestion
Parts of the Body: The parts of the body associated with this chakra include the muscular system, the skin as a system, the solar plexus, the large intestine, stomach, liver, and other organs and glands in the region of the solar plexus. Also the eyes, as the organs of sight, and the face, representing figuratively the face one show the world.
Endocrine Gland: the pancreas
Consciousness: Parts of the consciousness associated with this chakra include perceptions concerned with power, control, freedom, the ease with which one is able to be themselves – ease of being. Mental activity and the mental body is also associated with this chakra. The solar plexus chakra is also associated with the level of being we call the personality, or ego.
The relationship a person has with fire, or the sun, can be seen to have its parallels in the person’s relationship with the parts of their consciousness that this chakra represents. Someone sensitive about the sun, then, can be seen to have particular sensitivities about power, or control, or freedom.
Element: Fire, the sun.
Practical activity to activate and reactivate Manipura chakra on daily basis:
- Taking classes, reading informative books, doing mind puzzles. Developing one’s photographic memory. Sunshine. Detoxification programs.
- Eat yellow foods and consume yellow beverages.
- Use aromatherapy oils such as Rosemary, Lemon, Grapefruit, Bergamot.
- Music that is mentally stimulating such as chimes. Reed and Horn Instruments.
- Wear or carry a yellow gemstone or something gold. Yellow stones would be Citrine, Amber, Topaz.
- Bathe in the yellow color in your clothing, Color Bath, decor, art, etc
Also know as: Sensation Center, Hara & Spleen Chakra, Sacral Chakra
Location: The center of the abdomen
In using Orange – we can learn to understand how the stomach tells us about our physical situations. If the Spleen Chakra is out of balance, our stomach is usually the first thing to warn us. We may have a nervous stomach, if you cannot control our feelings. Orange allows us to balance our Spleen Chakra in such situations.
Orange energy may help when:
- want to increase appetite
- need joy and well-being
- have stomach disorders
- skin problems
- vertical grooves in our nails
- lack working energy
Parts of the body: Reproductive system, sexual organs, lumbar plexus
Endocrine gland: Gonads
Sense: Sense of taste, appetite
Consciousness: This chakra is associated with the parts of the consciousness concerned with food and sex. It is about the body’s communication to the Being inside, about what the body wants and needs, and what it finds pleasurable. The person’s ability to have children is also associated with this chakra. If there is not a clear relationship with the element of water, associated with this chakra, the person’s relationship with water is a reflection of their relationship with the parts of their consciousness associated with this chakra, i.e. food, sex, or having children.
This chakra is also associated with the emotional body, and the person’s willingness to feel their emotions.
Practical activity to activate and reactivate Svadhisthana chakra on daily basis:
- Hot aromatic baths. Water aerobics. Deep tissue massage. Emotional movies. Cooking classes. Embracing sensation (such as different food tastes).
- Eat orange foods and consume orange drinks.
- Use aromatherapy oils such as Melissa, Orange, Mandarin, Neroli, Tangerine.
- Music with a bounce or that flows (running water, thunderstorms, etc.). Harp.
- Wear or carry an orange gemstone or copper piece. Orange stones would be Coral or Carnelian.
- Bathe in the orange color in your clothing, Color Bath, decor, art, etc.
Also know as: Security Center & Root Chakra
Location: The perineum, the point between the anus and the sex organs
In using Red – we are striving for balance. This is the energy we need to help the chakras to function in accordance with the others.
Red may help when:
- we need courage and self-confidence
- we are anaemic
- we feel tired or indisposed
- we have poor blood circulation
- we are cold
- we need renewed energy
Parts of the body: Lymph system, skeleton system (teeth and bones), the prostate gland in men, the sacral plexus, the bladder and elimination system, and the lower extremities (legs, feet, ankles, etc.). Also the nose, since it is the organ of the sense of smell, and associated with survival.
Endocrine gland: Adrenal glands
Consciousness: Security, survival, trust, the relationship with money, home, job. Ability to be grounded, to be present in the here and now. Ability to allow one’s self to be nourished. In the sense of allowing one’s connection with their mother, and with Mother Earth. How the person feels about being on the earth. Connection with the physical body.
Symptoms or tensions in the parts of the body controlled by this chakra indicate tensions in the parts of the person’s consciousness related to this chakra. Tension here is experienced as insecurity as a general perceptual filter. More tension is experienced as fear. More than that is experienced as terror, or a threat to survival.
Practical activity to activate and reactivate Muladhara chakra on daily basis:
- Incorporate physical activities such as an exercise program or yoga.
- Eat red food and consume red drinks.
- Use aromatherapy oils such as sandalwood, ylang ylang or juniper (consult a specially trained aromatherapist or aura counselor to find the right oils for your specific chakra needs). Note: Every therapeutic oil or essence has its own healing power that can help with specific issues relating to each chakra.
- Stimulating music with deep beats such as drums or music that makes your body move like Latin American music. (Many metaphysical outlets have diversified selections of chakra music.)
- Wear or carry a red gemstones. Red stones would be Red Tiger’s Eye, Garnet, Red Jasper or Ruby.
- Bathe in the red color in your clothing, Color Bath, decor, art, etc.